Live blogging the eXL Digital Pharma conference, from Princeton, NJ. This second day will focus on the Regulatory environment.
Shwen Gwee, Lead Business AnalystHealth Informatics New Media, Vertex Pharmaceuticals: Can Pharma make a business case for Social Media?
– Build audience and gain trust before there is a crisis!
– Hurdles we have here in pharma are not unique to us (but there are some legal/reg/fed aspects that are specific).
– Manhattan Research – Internet now first destination for health info, displacing doctors.
– Put someone influential and high-profile in charge of corporate social media strategy/implementation.
– Don’t just look inside the industry. Innovation from outside.
– Join the conversation at social media sites. Attend meetings. Get LinkedIn. Experiment and participate.
– Need an internal social media evangelist to seed multiple levels within company. Energize people!
– Ladder of participation – different levels of involvement and expertise (highest level: creators)
– Research data if you want to spend some $$
– Determine your objectives
::Don’t think traditionally. Like Google – launch quickly, iterate quickly.
::Define Policies and Processes. State rules of engagement explicitly. good ex: JNJBTW
– ROI: depends on your objectives.
– Lots of free tools to monitor traffic, etc.